“This is a lot of information and may well seem somewhat confusing. I will try to summarise all of this information in some simple points.
– Mild and moderate exercise provides considerable health benefits to everyone
– Prolonged, intense exercise (such as the levels practiced by competitive athletes) is also likely to be safe but it has not been well studied.
There are a number of questions which remain unanswered
– Can exercise cause small amounts of heart muscle scar?
– Why do arrhythmias occur in some athletes?
– Why are some athletes at risk (a very, very small number), how can we identify them early and how can we prevent these problems?
Remember, the scale of any potential issues related to sport are miniscule against the massive benefits of exercise.”